Scores: Wesleyan 5, Hobart 4
Records: Wesleyan (11-9); Hobart (9-14)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Harvard)
Date: Sunday, February 19, 2017
Time: 9 a.m.
The Lead: For the third time overall, and the first time since 1992, the 26th-ranked Wesleyan University men's squash team won the Conroy Cup (D Division) at the College Squash Association (CSA) National Team Championships. The Cardinals edged No. 25 Hobart College, 5-4 Sunday morning on the campus of Harvard University.
- Wesleyan capped off its team season with a spectacular 3-0 weekend at the CSA championships, as the Cardinals narrowly defeated the Statesmen en route to the title.
- Seniors David Sneed and Zach Roach claimed the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, respectively. Sneed swept Felipe Pantle by scores of 11-2, 11-8, 12-10. Roach earned a thrilling come-from-behind 3-2 win over Terrance Rose. After dropping the first two sets (6-11, 7-11), Roach responded with three consecutive wins of 11-9, 11-9, 11-5 to claim the match.
- Alex Kamisher '17 won a thriller as well as he defeated Divine Wing, 3-1 (13-11, 5-11, 11-9, 14-12) in the No. 5 position.
- In the No. 7 spot, Josh Lane '19 swept Matthew Frantz, 11-7, 11-2, 11-4.
- Alex Dreyfus '20 dropped his first set, 11-1, but responded with victories of 11-7, 11-8, 11-7 to claim the No. 9 position over Ben Shapiro.
BEYOND THE RESULTS:
- The win marks the Cardinals fifth CSA team championship in program history. Wesleyan also won the Summers Cup in the "C" division in 1997 and 2001, as well as the Conroy Cup in the "D" division in 1991, 1992 and 2017.
- Sneed finished the team season with a spectacular 17-3 overall record, all from the No. 2 position. Hart and Roach each posted 13-7 marks from the No. 1 and No. 3 spots, respectively.
- Wesleyan's team season has concluded, but the Cardinals await the CSA National Individual Championship announcement to see who will compete in the three-day tournament beginning Friday, March 3.