AMHERST, Mass. – The 30th-ranked Wesleyan University men's squash team split its doubleheader Sunday at the Pioneer Valley Invitational hosted by Amherst College. The Cardinals defeated No. 32 Stanford earlier in the day, 6-3, but were edged by No. 29 Connecticut College, 5-4, in their second match. Wesleyan is now 4-10 overall this season.
- The Cardinals were led by Sean Choi '21, William Bienstock '20 and William Coburn '21 as they each went 2-0 on the day.
- Against Stanford, Choi claimed a 3-1 win at the top spot by scores of 11-8, 8-11, 11-9, 11-9.
- Bienstock and Josh Lane '19 claimed the No. 3 and No. 4 positions, respectively. Bienstock rallied from a 2-0 deficit to claim a thrilling five-set match by scores of 8-11, 10-12, 11-7, 11-8, 11-9. Lane swept his match with marks of 11-8, 11-9, 11-9.
- Kevin Le '19, Coburn and Premchai Bunsermvicha '20 earned three wins at the bottom of the lineup. Le dropped the first set but won the next three in the No. 7 position, Coburn claimed a 3-0 sweep at No. 8, and Busermvicha won in four sets at No. 9.
- In the second match of the day against Conn. College, Choi, Yahya Ladiwala '19 and Bienstock took the top three spots and Coburn claimed the No. 8 position.
- Choi earned a 3-0 sweep in the No. 1 position, Ladiwala rallied to win the No. 2 spot in four sets, and Bienstock claimed another thrilling five-set match at No. 3, while Coburn claimed a 3-0 sweep.
- The Cardinals return to the courts Saturday, Jan. 27 as they host the Little Three Championships against Amherst (11 a.m.) and Williams (3 p.m.)