MIDDLETOWN, Conn. - The 28th-ranked Wesleyan University men's squash team earned a pair of wins on Sunday afternoon in its regular-season finale as the Cardinals defeated No. 39 New York University and No. 34 Fordham University by identical scores of 7-2.
With the wins, Wesleyan improved to 6-12 on the year. NYU is now 3-5 and Fordhamn dropped to 16-7.
- In the first match of the day against NYU, the Cardinals won the No. 1-7 spots with five sweeps.
- Sean Choi and Yahya Ladiwala swept the No. 1 and No. 2 positions, respectively, and Kevin Le, Peter DeLalio and Andrew Doucette each won in three sets. Le swept the No. 5 spot, DeLalio swept No. 6, and Doucette swept No. 7
- Josh Lane and William Bienstock each won five-set thrillers. Lane prevailed in the No. 4 spot (11-8, 10-12, 12-10, 4-11, 11-9), while Bienstock saw his 2-0 lead in the No. 5 position slip away before rallying in the fifth to take the match (11-8, 11-3, 8-11, 10-12, 11-8).
- The Cardinals wrapped up the day against Fordham with seven three-set victories.
- Choi, Lane, Bienstock, Le, DeLalio, Doucette and Premchai Bunsermvicha all won their matches convincingly.
- Wesleyan fought hard in its two losses, dropping a five-set match in the No. 2 spot and a four-set match in the No. 6 position.
- The Cardinals wrap up team competition this weekend as they will compete in the three-day CSA National Team Championships hosted by Yale beginning Friday, Feb. 15.