Result: 9th of 11
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Wesleyan Natatorium)
Dates: Friday Feb. 17 - Sunday, Feb. 19
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's swimming and diving team earned a ninth place finish at the 2017 NESCAC Championships, which were held at the Wesleyan Natatorium. Williams College won its 15th consecutive – and 16th overall title, and were followed in the standings by Amherst, Tufts, Connecticut College and Bates.
DAY ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- The 200-yard freestyle relay team of Quinn Tucker '20, Ali Pourmaleki '18, Alex Kapphahn '19 and Spencer Tang '18 finished in seventh place with a time of 1:242.27.
- Kapphahn finished the 50-yard backstroke event in 24.03 which was the ninth best time in the event.
- Ethan Chupp '18 earned a fifth place finish in the 1-meter diving event with a finals score 378.30.
- Tang, Kapphahn, Pourmaleki and Tucker finished eighth in the 400-yard medley relay event as they touched the wall in 3:28.40.
DAY TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- Spencer Tang '18, Alan Huh '20, Max Distler '18 and Nate Courville '17 finished 11th in the 200-yard medley relay with their time of 1:39.20.
- Aidan Winn '18 finished 15th overall in the 1,000-yard freestyle as he touched the wall in 9:52.81.
- Kapphahn claimed eighth in the 100-yard butterfly with his time of 51.35. Pourmaleki finished 10th with a time of 50.61.
- In the 800 freestyle relay, Pourmaleki, Kapphahn, Winn and Tucker finished in sixth with as they touched the wall in 6:56.66.
DAY THREE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Pourmaleki finished second overall in the 200-yard butterfly with a NCAA 'B' qualifying mark and new varsity record time of 1:50.06.
- Chupp earned a seventh place finish in the 3-meter diving event with a score of 356.80.
- The Cardinals 400-yard relay team, comprised of Pourmaleki, Kapphahn, Tucker and Tang, finished eighth overall, clocking in with a finals time of 3:07.94.
- Wesleyan set six varsity records during the three-day event, they were: 50 Fly (Kapphahn): 23.01; 400 Medley Relay (3:28.40): Tang (52.00), Kapphahn (58.90), Pourmaleki (50.18), Tucker (47.32); 100 Back (Tang): 52.00; lead-off leg of 400 Medley Relay, 200 Free (Pourmaleki): 1:41.59; lead-off leg of 800 Free Relay, 200 Fly (Pourmaleki): 1:50.06; NCAA "B" Cut, 400 Free Relay (3:07.33), Pourmaleki (46.58), Kapphahn (45.66), Tucker (47.30), Tang (47.79).
- Qualified swimmers will compete in the NCAA Men's Swimming and Diving Championships, which will be held Wednesday, Feb. 15 - Saturday, Feb. 18 in Shenandoah, Texas.