MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University men's swimming & diving team earned 10 top-three finishes on Saturday, as the Cardinals finished third overall with a score of 376.5 at the CT Cup Meet in Middletown, Conn.
Coast Guard finished in the top slot with a team score of 722, and Connecticut College earned runner-up honors with a mark of 490.5.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Phillip Wong and junior Alex Kapphahn finished in the second and third slots, respectively, during the 100-yard backstroke with times of 53.64 and 54.07.
- Wong, who hails from Fort Lee, N.J., also grabbed runner-up accolades during the 200 backstroke (1:58.50), to go along with a fourth-place nod in the 200 IM (2:01.78). Kapphahn was the third swimmer to touch the wall during the 50 butterfly, clocking a time of 23.71.
- Junior diver Brandon Pearson continues to perform exceptionally in diving events, as he was the top performer off the 3-meter board (261.90) and in the 1-meter event (257.92).
- Freshman Eric Lindheim-Marx finished in the second slot during the 1,000 freestyle, as the Goleta, Calif. native recorded a time of 10:13.55 and collected 11 points.
- Senior captain Max Distler put his best foot forward during the 200 butterfly, as he finished third overall with a time of 2:07.14 and earned 10 team points.
- Kapphahn, sophomore Quinn Tucker, and seniors Aidan Winn and Spencer Tang finished fourth overall during the 200 freestyle relay, checking in with a time of 1:30.46. Wong, Kapphahn, Tang and Tucker excelled during the 400 medley relay with another fourth-place effort, as the men posted a time of 3:38.89.
- During the 200 medley relay, Wesleyan turned to its group of Tang, Kapphahn, freshman Nicolas Moran and Tucker, and the competitiors responded by grabbing fourth-place acknowledgement with a time of 1:40.35.
- Distler, Wong, freshman Garrett Kaufmann and sophomore Andrew Schwartz worked together in the 400 freestyle relay, placing fifth overall with a mark of 3:25.56. These four relay performances resulted in a total of 72 points for the Cardinals.
- Wesleyan will be back in action against Tufts, Williams and WPI on Saturday, Dec. 9, in Middletown, Conn.