Jan 20, 2018
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University men's swimming & diving team posted seven first-place performances during victories over Roger Williams and Springfield on Saturday at the Wesleyan Natatorium in Middletown, Conn.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals defeated Roger Williams by a score of 176-123, and outlasted Springfield, 181-119.
- During the 400-yard medley relay, freshman Phillip Wong, junior Alex Kapphahn, senior Spencer Tang and sophomore Quinn Tucker cruised to a first-place effort with a time of 3:37.90, which was 3.68 seconds ahead of the runner up.
- Wesleyan also flexed its muscles during the 400 freestyle relay, as senior Ali Pourmaleki, Kapphahn, Tucker and Tang worked together and ended the race in a time of 3:13.31, with the second-place unit finishing 5.05 seconds behind.
- The Cardinals' first-place efforts on the individual side came from Tang (100 backstroke, 52.99; 200 backstroke, 1:58.59), Pourmaleki (200 butterfly, 2:01.83; 100 butterfly, 53.85) and Tucker (200 freestyle, 1:48.33).
- Freshman Eric Lindheim-Marx contributed with a pair of second-place performances in the 1,650 freestyle (17:24.02) and the 500 freestyle (5:04.23), while senior Aidan Winn came through with runner-up acknowledgement in the 200 freestyle, touching the wall in a time of 1:50.70. The Florence, Mass. native was the third swimmer to finish the 200 backstroke event, clocking a time of 2:04.47.
- During the 50 freestyle, Kapphahn finished second overall with a time of 22.09, while also finishing in the third slot during the 100 breaststroke (1:04.25). Senior captain Max Distler was impressive during the 200 butterfly, as the clock showed 2:03.39 at the end of his race, which was good for second overall.
- Wong also grabbed a top-three finish on the individual side, placing in the third slot during the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:21.24.
- On the diving side, junior Brandon Pearson placed third overall off the 3-meter board (235.50) and senior Ethan Chupp placed third during the 1-meter event (233.65).
- The Cardinals will be back in action on Friday, as they will host Bowdoin, Colby and Trinity at 5:30 p.m. in Middletown, Conn.