MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University men's swimming & diving team recorded a trio of first-place finishes on Friday and Saturday, as the Cardinals suffered a pair of losses to Colby, 198-170, and Bowdoin, 240-129, at the Wesleyan Natatorium in Middletown, Conn.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Spencer Tang tallied a pair of first-place finishes for the Cardinals, as he achieved the honor in the 50-yard backstroke (24.77) and during the 100 butterfly (52.99).
- Senior Ali Pourmaleki was the first swimmer to finish the 200 freestyle event, clocking a time of 1:45.97, which gave him a 2.87-second cushion over second place. The senior standout was also the second-place performer in the 200 butterfly, finishing with a time of 1:56.93.
- Junior Alex Kapphahn, who hails from Elk Grove, Calif., placed second overall in the 50 freestyle (21.73), while freshman Phillip Wong earned runner-up acknowledgement during the 200 freestyle (1:48.84) and finished in the No. 3 slot during the 200 backstroke (1:59.35).
- Freshman Nicolas Moran checked in at the No. 3 slot during the 50 butterfly, tallying an impressive time of 24.35.
- During the diving events, senior Ethan Chupp finished in the second slot off the 3-meter board (251.20), and junior Brandon Pearson was the third-place finisher during the 1-meter event (256.70).
- On the relay side, Tang, Kapphahn, Moran and sophomore Quinn Tucker claimed a runner-up finish in the 200 medley relay (1:38.30). Pourmaleki, Kapphahn, senior Aidan Winn and Tang teamed up for the 200 freestyle relay, finishing second overall with a time of 1:27.78.
- The Cardinals will host NESCAC-foe Connecticut College in dual-meet action on Friday (6:30 p.m.) at the Wesleyan Natatorium in Middletown, Conn.