MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University men's swimming & diving team reeled off 14 top-three finishes during Senior Day festivities on Saturday afternoon, as the Cardinals defeated Fairfield University, 151-135, and lost to Coast Guard Academy, 184-113, at the Wesleyan Natatorium in Middletown, Conn.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals honored their exceptional eight-person senior class, featuring Ethan Chupp, Max Distler, Karl Ortegon, Peter Patapis, Ali Pourmaleki, Spencer Tang, Robbie Webster and Aidan Winn.
- Wesleyan totaled seven first-place finishes, as Tang led the charge with first-place performances in the 100-yard backstroke (53.01) and the 200 backstroke (1:57.69). Other first-place efforts came from sophomore Quinn Tucker (200 freestyle, 1:46.36), Pourmaleki (200 butterfly, 1:56.40), Chupp (3-meter diving, 253.25), junior Alex Kapphahn (100 freestyle, 47.38) and junior Brandon Pearson (1-meter diving, 266.00).
- During the 200 freestyle relay, Pourmaleki, Kapphahn, Tucker and Tang earned runner-up acknowledgement with a time of 1:25.96, which put the group 0.52 seconds behind the first-place squad. The group also competed as a unit during the 200 medley relay, finishing third overall with a time of 1:38.17.
- Pearson earned a runner-up finish off the 3-meter board with a mark of 249.60, while Kapphahn (21.68) and freshman Phillip Wong (1:58.88) grabbed second-place honors in the 50 freestyle and 200 backstroke, respectively.
- Freshman Eric Lindheim-Marx placed third overall in the 1,000 freestyle, touching the wall in a time of 10:11.38.
- The Cardinals will be back in action on Feb. 23-25 for the NESCAC Championship at Bowdoin in Brunswick, Maine.