Tournament: MIT Fall Invitational
Host: MIT (Cambridge, Mass.)
Format: 64 singles players; 32 doubles teams
Dates: Friday, Oct. 14 – Sunday, Oct. 16
The Lead: Senior duo Michael Liu and Jake Roberts of the Wesleyan University men's tennis team won the doubles championship at the 2016 MIT Fall Invitational this weekend, while Cameron Daniels '18 claimed the singles consolation title.
- Despite falling short in the first round, Daniels rallied in the consolation bracket with five wins en route to the title. He defeated Hamid Derbani of Middlebury in the championship match, 6-2, 6-3.
- In all, eight members of the Cardinals competed in singles competition.
- Steven Chen '18 reached the quarterfinals and went 3-1. He defeated sixth-seeded Alex Vanezis of Middlebury (6-3, 6-3), Jackson Kogan of Brandeis (4-6, 6-2, 6-1) and Tyler Barr of MIT (6-7 (2), 7-6 (3), 6-4), before falling to William de Quant of Middlebury in the quarterfinals (6-1, 6-0).
- Freshman Jonathan Holtzman had a stellar tournament as well, defeating Jon Heidenberg of Amherst (6-2, 2-6, 6-4) and Ryan Bunis of Brandeis (6-3, 6-2), before losing to Josh Marchalik of Amherst (6-4, 1-6, 6-3).
- Liu, Roberts, Joachim Samson '19 and Princeton Carter '20 all went 1-1 in singles action. Carter defeated Derbani, who entered the tournament as the No. 5 seed, by scores of 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
- Liu and Roberts went 5-0 in doubles action to claim the championship title. The duo defeated Barr and Albert Go of MIT (8-3), de Quant and Weston Brach of Middlebury (8-2), Allen Jackson and Aleksandr Samets of Middlebury, and Derbani and Kyle Schlanger of Middlebury (8-4) to reach the finals. In the championship match, Liu and Roberts defeated Brian Grodecki and Alex Taylor of Little Three rival Williams, 8-4, to claim the crown.
- Greg Lyon '17 and Maxwell Smith '19 went 1-1 with an 8-5 win over Brian Granoff and Jeff Cherkin of Brandeis, but fell to Jordan Sadowsky and Rohan Shastri of Williams, 8-5.
- Chen and Samson also went 1-1. After defeating Rohan Gupte and Nathan Niemiec of Tufts, 8-4, they fell to Michael Arguello and Bunis of Brandeis, 8-5.
- The Cardinals' 2016 fall season comes to a wrap following this weekend's tournament, as they await the spring schedule which begins with the Stag-Hen Invitational in Claremont, Calif. Tuesday, March 14.