Scores: No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 6, No. 11 Wesleyan 3 /
No. 11 Wesleyan 6, No. 24 Skidmore 3
Event: Stag-Hen Invitational
Records: Wesleyan (1-1); Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9-0); Skidmore (4-2)
Location: Claremont, Calif. (Claremont-Mudd-Scripps)
Date: Tuesday, March 14, 2017
The Lead: The No. 11 Wesleyan University men's tennis team dropped a 6-3 decision to No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in its 2016-17 dual-match season-opener, but responded with a 6-3 win over No. 24 Skidmore in the late afternoon during Day One action at the Stag-Hen Invitational, hosted by the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
WESLEYAN / CMS HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals went 2-1 in doubles action, but fell 5-1 in singles.
- Tiago Eusebio '18 and Maxwell Smith '19 earned an 8-4 win in No. 2 doubles against Glenn Hull and Jay Yeam, while Steven Chen '18 and Cameron Daniels '18 picked up an 8-3 win in No. 3 doubles against Max Macey and Jake Williams.
- Chen picked up the Cardinals only win in singles play as he defeated Nikolai Parodi in the No. 1 position by scores of 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
WESLEYAN / SKIDMORE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan recovered later in the day, despite falling behind 2-1 in doubles play.
- Eusebio and Smith claimed the lone win in doubles, edging Steven Koulouris and Lucas Pickering, 9-8 in the No. 2 spot.
- In singles play, Wesleyan dominated by taking five of six matches.
- At the top of the lineup, Chen won 7-5, 6-2; Michael Liu '17 took No. 2 singles 7-5, 6-4; and Eusebio claimed No. 3 singles 7-6 (7-4), 6-0.
- Jonathan Holtzman '20 defeated Ted Berkowitz in No. 5 singles (6-3, 6-2) and Princeton Carter '20 cruised past Travis Leaf in No. 6 singles (6-0, 6-3).
- The Cardinals will play in the fifth-place match Wednesday, March 15 against No. 10 Case Western. The match is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. ET.