Scores: Wesleyan 6, Williams 3
Records: Wesleyan (7-1, 2-0 NESCAC); Williams (8-4, 1-2 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn.
Date: Sunday, April 9
The Lead: For the first time since 1972, the Wesleyan University men's tennis team defeated Williams College as the eighth-ranked Cardinals earned a 6-3 victory over the ninth-ranked Ephs Sunday morning to increase their win streak to seven-straight matches.
- The Cardinals took 2-of-3 doubles matches.
- The 19th-ranked due of Michael Liu '17 and Jake Roberts '18 earned an 8-6 win in the No. 1 spot, while Cameron Daniels '17 and Steven Chen '18 claimed an 8-5 victory in No. 3 doubles.
- Chen continued his strong play in singles action as he won the No. 1 position. After a thrilling first set, in which he won 7-6, the junior cruised to a 6-0 victory in the second.
- Wesleyan also claimed No. 4, 5 and 6 singles.
- In the No. 4 spot, Joachim Samson '19 won decisively by scores of 6-3, 6-0.
- Daniels took No. 5 singles 6-2, 6-2, and Princeton Carter '20 held on for a thrilling win in the No. 6 spot. The freshman, who improved to 5-1 on the season, won by scores of 7-5, 2-6, 10-5.
HEAD COACH MIKE FRIED:
- "The men played inspired tennis and picked each other up for a great win for the program."
- Wesleyan returns to the court Tuesday, April 11 and will host Conn. College at 3:30 p.m.