Scores: Wesleyan 9, Conn. College 0
Records: Wesleyan (8-1, 3-0 NESCAC); Conn. College (4-6, 0-3 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn
Date: Tuesday, April 11
The Lead: In its final home match of the 2016-17 season, the No. 8 Wesleyan University men's tennis team cruised to a 9-0 sweep over Connecticut College in NESCAC play Tuesday night. The win marked the eighth-consecutive for the Cardinals.
- In doubles play, the 19th-ranked due of Michael Liu '17 and Jake Roberts '18 improved to 6-3 in the top spot with an 8-2 win.
- Tiago Eusebio '18 and Maxwell Smith '19 won 8-4 in No. 2 doubles and are now 8-1 on the season, while Greg Lyon '17 and Princeton Carter '20 earned their first doubles win of the year together with an 8-1 victory in the No. 3 position.
- Liu played No. 1 singles tonight for the first time this season and cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 victory.
- Eusebio improved to 3-0 in No. 2 singles with wins of 6-0, 6-1, and Joachim Samson '19 remained perfect at No. 3 singles (3-0) with a commanding 6-0, 6-3 victory.
- Cameron Daniels '18 and Jonathan Holtzman '20 both improved to 3-0 in their respective positions as well, as Daniels claimed No. 4 singles (6-3, 6-2) and Holtzman won No. 5 singles (6-1, 6-0).
- In the No. 6 spot, Cameron Hicks '17 won 6-2, 6-3 and is now 2-0 this season.
HEAD COACH MIKE FRIED:
- "It's great to see our four seniors, Cam Hicks, Mike Liu, Greg Lyon and Jake Roberts get good wins in their last home match. They've been a huge part of the transformation of Wesleyan Tennis and will continue to lead us as we hit the road for the rest of the season."
- Wesleyan returns to the courts Saturday, April 15 and will play at Tufts. The match is scheduled to start at 9 a.m.