Scores: Amherst 5, Wesleyan 4
Records: Wesleyan (10-2, 5-1 NESCAC); Amherst (18-3, 4-1 NESCAC)
Location: Amherst, Mass.
Date: Saturday, April 22
The Lead: The eighth-ranked Wesleyan University men's tennis team's 10-match win streak came to an end Saturday as the Cardinals fell short against Little Three rival and No. 13 Amherst College, 5-4. The loss also marked Wesleyan's first in NESCAC play this season (5-1).
- The Cardinals claimed one doubles win, as Tiago Eusebio '18 and Maxwell Smith '19 earned an 8-6 win in the No. 2 spot.
- Michael Liu '17 and Jake Roberts '17 came up short in No. 1 doubles and were edged 9-8.
- Wesleyan won the top three spots in singles play.
- Steven Chen '18 earned victories of 6-1, 6-4 in the No. 1 position.
- Liu and Eusebio each claimed three-set victories.
- In No. 2 singles, Liu claimed a thrilling win by scores of 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. Eusebio took the No. 3 position by claiming the first set 6-3, before dropping set two (6-1). However, he responded with a 7-6 win in the third set to seal the victory.
HEAD COACH MIKE FRIED:
- "Tough pill to swallow, as we were keen to take the Little Three for the first time in 70 years, but we'll use it as fire and look to come back even stronger."
- Wesleyan remains on the road for another difficult matchup as it faces No. 1 Middlebury tomorrow at 2 p.m.