Location: Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
Date: Thursday, May 25
The Lead: Steven Chen '18 of the Wesleyan University men's tennis team won his first match in the 2017 NCAA Division III Individual Championships to earn All-America honors, before losing in the Round of 16 to end a spectacular junior campaign.
- Chen faced Justin Ancona of Wheaton in the Round of 32. The junior edged Ancona in the first set, 7-5, and claimed a 6-3 win in the second to advance to the next round.
- In the Round of 16, Chen matched up against Jeremy Dubin of Johns Hopkins. It was the second meeting between the two in over a week, as Dubin defeated Chen in the Sweet 16. He came away victorious again on Thursday, and won by scores of 6-4, 6-3,
BEYOND THE RESULTS:
- Chen had a terrific 2017 season, in which he helped guide Wesleyan to its best season in program history, which included a trip to the NCAA Team Quarterfinals.
- He also earned a First Team All-NESCAC selection, and was named the Division III Northeast Wilson/ITA Player to Watch.
- His All-America honor is the second of his career.