NEW LONDON, Conn. – Agbon Edomwonyi '16 and Tate Knight '18 each won events for the Wesleyan University men's outdoor track & field team as the Cardinals competed in the two-day Silfen Invitational hosted by Connecticut College, and placed sixth overall.
Result: 6th of 19 (53 points)
Location: New London, Conn.
Top-Three: 1. Tufts (179), 2. Franklin Pierce (95.5), 3. Trinity (81.5)
- Knight led all Wesleyan track performers as he claimed first place in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:28.70. That time was a new personal record, and qualifies Knight for the Division III New England Championships, the ECAC Championships, and the Open New England Championships. He is currently No. 21 among Division III runners in this event.
- John Vansant '18 finished 10th overall in the 1,000-meter run with a personal record of 34:12.20.
- Three Cardinals finished within the top-20 in the 5,000-meter run. Taylor Titcomb '16 placed 11th in 14:54.19, Keith Conway '16 took 15th in 15:03.36, and Reid Hawkins '17 placed 17th in 15:08.64. All qualified for DIII's and ECAC's, and Titcomb also qualified for Open New England's. Titcomb's time is currently No. 30 in the country for Division III runners. Conway and Hawkins both came away with 5000m personal records.
- Will Dudek '17 claimed 13th in the 1,500-meter run as he crossed the finish line in 4:02.33 which qualifies him for the DIII New England Championships.
- Edomwonyi highlighted the field events with a first-place showing in the discus throw. He won the event decisively with a mark of 45.49m. Atticus Swett of Tufts finished second with a toss of 42.36m.
- Edomwonyi also took fifth in the hammer throw with a mark of 47.02m.
- Wesleyan claimed two top-five finishes in the pole vault. Andrew McCracken '19 took second with a final leap of 4.25m, and Jessy Carrasco-Gonzalez '18 finished fourth with a final mark of 3.80m.
- The Cardinals return to the track Saturday, April 23 for the J. Elmer Swanson Invitational, hosted by Wesleyan. The meet is scheduled to start at 11 a.m.