Results: 5th of 8 teams (77 points)
Location: Northampton, Mass. (Smith Invitational)
Date: Saturday, January 21st
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's track and field team participated in the Smith Invitational on Saturday and finished the event in fifth place overall, while Andrew McCraken '19 won the pole vault by setting a new school record with a mark of 4.28 meters.
- Frank McField '20 won the 400-meter dash with his time of 51.70, while Drew Trotman '18 (53.81) and Kyle Shin '20 (55.66) finished sixth and tenth respectively.
- Tate Knight '18 completed the mile run in 4:24.91 which was good enough for second overall. Freshman Conner Sexton narrowly finished behind Knight in third as he completed the race in 4:24.93. Both runners' times qualify them for the Division III New England Regionals.
- In the 800-meter run, junior Colin Mahoney finished fifth overall with a mark of 2:05.52.
- The Cardinals finished fourth and fifth in the 1,000 meter run thanks to Will Dudek '17 (2:35.70) and Grant Van Inwegen '20 (2:36.19). Both qualify for the DIII New ENgland's, and Van Inwegen's time is a new personal record.
- Shin (24.40) and Jessy Carrasco-Gonzalez '18 (24.49) finished the 200-meter dash in sixth and seventh places respectively.
- Shota Nakamura '19 completed the 3,000 meter run in 8:57.84 which was good enough for sixth place. Kevin McMorrow '20 (9:03.67) and Reid Hawkins '17 (9:05.60) finished eighth and tenth respectively. McMorrow's time is a new personal record.
- McCracken won the pole vault, while Carrasco-Gonzalez came in second with a score of 3.95m.
- Owen Daly-Smith '19 (11.10m), Ricardo Vazquez '20 (11.10m) and Olaniyi Adebayo '19 (10.66m) finished 6-8 in the weight throw event. Adebayo also took home eighth place in the shot put with a throw of 11.36m while Vazquez took ninth with a score of 11.08m.
- Freshman Jack Northrop finished ninth in the long jump event with a score of 5.58m.
- The Cardinals will return to the track on Saturday, January 28th as they will take part in the Tufts Invitational.