MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – After compiling 21 first-place finishes and coming in fourth place out of a field of 20 teams at the Tufts Snowflake Classic on March 31, the Wesleyan University men's track & field team is ready to compete in the 2018 NESCAC Championship on Saturday at Trinity College.
The conference meet will feature all 11 NESCAC schools at the Jesse Miller Field in Hartford, Conn., starting at 9 a.m., as Williams finished atop the men's and women's standings during the 2017 championship.
During last year's meet at Bowdoin, Andrew McCracken '19 finished second overall in the pole vault (4.40 meters), while Tate Knight '18 and Kevin McMorrow '20 placed eighth and ninth overall, respectively, in the 3,000m steeplechase. Additionally, Jessy Carrasco-Gonzalez '18 claimed a 10th-place nod in the pole vault with a mark of 3.95.
During the 2017-18 campaign, McCracken, who hails from Topsham, Maine, broke the school record in the pole vault with a mark of 4.60 during the Smith Invite on Jan. 20, and then Grant van Inwegen '20 shattered the school record in the 1,000m with a time of 2:30.35 during the Fast Track Last Chance meet on Feb. 24.
Wesleyan showcased its immense talent during the Elmer Swanson Invitational on April 21 in Middletown, Conn., grabbing nine first-place finishes.
Cardinals to Watch:
- McCracken has been a steady force in the Cardinals' lineup all year long, placing first overall in the pole vault during five different meets.
- Kyron Roberts '21 hit the ground running as a rookie, compiling four first-place finishes on the individual side. The Brooklyn, N.Y. native placed first overall in the 600m at the Branwen Smith-King Invitational, the 800m at the Wesleyan Spring Classic, and the 400m at the Wesleyan Indoor Invitational and the Elmer Swanson Invitational.
- Kevin DeLoughry '21 led the pack in the 600m at the Smith Invite, the 400m at the Wesleyan Spring Classic and the 400m hurdles at the Elmer Swanson Invitational.
- Drew Trotman '18 crossed the finish line first in the 100 and 200m at the Elmer Swanson Invitational, while Connor Sexton '20 was the first-place performer in the 1-mile run at the Wesleyan Indoor Invitational.
- Olaniyi Adebayo '19 finished first in a pair of field events at the Elmer Swanson Invitational, registering the best scores in the shot put and hammer throw.
- The group of Roberts, DeLoughry, George Avrassoglou '19 and Trotman recorded a first-place effort in the 4x400m relay at the Elmer Swanson Invitational, while van Inwegen finished first overall in the 800m at the event.