CLERMONT, Fla. - The Wesleyan University softball team continued their spring break trip by splitting another pair of games as they were defeated by Ursinus 6-4 in the first game, but the Cardinals rebounded behind a spectacular pitching performance by Su Pardo '16, who shut out Bethany College (WV) in the Cardinals' 1-0 victory.
Bethany College (WV): 4-4
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Wesleyan got out to an early 2-0 lead, scoring two runs in the top of the first inning on a Julie McDonald '18 single.
- The Cardinals held a 4-2 lead heading into the bottom of the sixth inning, when the Bears offense put together a four run inning to give them a 6-4 lead.
- Wesleyan would get two runners on in the top of the seventh, but they were unable to get any runs across as Ursinus held onto win 6-4.
- Amanda Roosa '16 went 3-4 for the Cardinals knocking in two runs, while McDonald went 2-3 with two RBIs.
- Brittany Gasser went 1-3 in the game with two RBIs, and Zoe Heinke also knocked in two runs for the Bears.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Pardo pitched a complete game shutout for the Cardinals, surrendering only six hits while striking out six and walking none.
- Wesleyan scored the lone run in the game in the bottom of the fifth inning on a Roosa sacrifice fly which scored Olivia Gorman '19 who singled to lead off the inning and advanced to third on two sacrifice bunts.
- Kayla Kelly went 2-3 with a double for the Bison on the afternoon.
- The Cardinals are back in action tomorrow as they take on Emmanuel College at 5 pm.m and Arcadia University at 7 p.m.