CLERMONT, Fla. - Julie McDonald '18 tossed a complete game shutout in game one, and Su Pardo '16 tossed a shutout of her own in game two, as the Wesleyan University softball team defeated both Emmanuel College and Arcadia University by identical scores of 6-0.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cardinals got the scoring started early as they put together a three-run first inning. All three Wesleyan runs came with two outs. McDonald knocked in the first run with a single, and Pardo followed with a two run double.
- Wesleyan put together another three run inning in the top of the fourth to give them a 6-0 advantage. An error on an Annalie Walsh-Costello '17 sacrifice bunt allowed the fourth Cardinal run to score, and RBI singles by Mollie Grunat '16 and McDonald extended the Wesleyan lead to 6-0.
- The six runs were more than enough for McDonald who was excellent in the circle, allowing just two hits in the complete game shutout. She also struck out seven batters on the afternoon.
- The Saints lone hits were recorded by Ashley Skey and Susie Kieselback.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cardinals got on the board early again as McDonald singled in Amanda Roosa '16 in the bottom of the first to give Wesleyan the early 1-0 advantage.
- The Cardinals put together a big second inning, scoring four runs on five hits. Rielly Wieners '17 had the big hit of the inning as her double plated three runners.
- Wesleyan would add another run in the third inning as Walsh-Costello's sacrifice plated Rachel Kantor '19.
- Pardo pitched a complete game, allowing six hits and striking out six in the shutout victory.
- Isabel Linzer '17 went 3-4 in the game with a run scored, and McDonald went 2-3 with an RBI.
- For Arcadia, Amanda Hess went 2-3 on the evening.
- The Cardinals return to the field on Saturday, March 12th as they will face Emerson College at 5 p.m and The College of New Jersey at 7 p.m.