CLERMONT, Fla.- The Wesleyan University softball team took on Emerson College in the first of two games for the Cardinals' team on Saturday afternoon, and were defeated by a score of 6-3. In the second game of the evening, the Cardinals took on the College of New Jersey, and rebounded from the Emerson game as they were able to defeat the Lions by a score of 4-3.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cardinals opened up the scoring in the second as Reilly Wieners '17 was able to score on a Annaile Walsh-Costello '17 single.
- Emerson came back with two runs in the second as back-to-back walks forced in the two Lions runs.
- The Lions would score twice more in the third as a Molly Goldstein single scored Kallista Leonards and Jillian Gearin was able to score on an error.
- Wesleyan rallied in the top of the seventh, scoring two runs to bring the Lions' lead to 6-3. Walsh-Costello's sacrifice fly scored Su Pardo '16 and Olivia Gorman '19 singled to knock in Rachel Kantor '19. The Cardinals' rally fell short as they would fall 6-3.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The two teams traded runs in the second inning as The College of New Jersey scored first on a Deanna Utter sacrifice fly. The Cardinals responded in the bottom half of the inning as Walsh-Costello singled home Pardo.
- The Lions scored again in the third to take a 2-1 lead, but Wesleyan again answered, this time with two runs as Pardo and Jamie Hom '17 both walked to force in runs. That would give the Cardinals a 3-2 lead.
- The College of New Jersey wouldn't go away as they scored again in the fifth inning to tie the game at three. Jamie Purcell grounded out to short which scored Jess Santelli.
- The Cardinals had another answer as they scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the inning as Walsh-Costello hit a sacrifice fly to score Pardo and give Wesleyan the 4-3 win.
- Pardo was a force in the circle and at the plate, pitching seven innings allowing just two earned runs while striking out five. She also went 2-2 at the plate with an RBI.