CLERMONT, Fla. - Isabel Linzer '17 goes 3-4 with three RBIs in game one, and Rachel Kantor '19 goes 3-4 and pitches a complete game in game two, as the Wesleyan University softball continue their winning ways in Florida, as they defeated Macalester College 10-9 on Sunday morning. They followed that victory with a 9-1 defeat of Becker College.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Scots got off to a fast start, scoring seven runs on seven hits in the bottom of the first inning.
- The Cardinals began to chip away at the 7 run deficit, as they scored two runs in the second, five in the third and three in the fourth to give them a 10-7 lead.
- Kantor tripled in Annalie Walsh-Costello '17, who singled to lead off the inning, and a Linzer single knocked in Kantor from third in the second inning.
- The five-run third inning for Wesleyan was highlighted by RBIs from Kantor, Linzer, Walsh-Costello, Su Pardo '16, and Amanda Roosa '16.
- The Wesleyan pitching staff rebounded after the first inning, allowing only two runs on four hits the remainder of the game.
- Linzer went 3-4 in the game with a team high 3 RBIs. Kantor went 1-3 while knocking in two runs of her own.
- Morghan Bean lead Macalester with three RBIs, going 2-4 in the game, while Abby Cox and Natalie Platt knocked in two runs.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cardinals continued with their big innings, as they put up five runs in the bottom of the second inning. Kantor, who was dominate at the plate and in the circle in this game, opened the inning with a double and was able to score on a Pardo single. Walsh-Costello contributed an RBI single, and Linzer knocked in the third Wesleyan run with a double. Rielly Wieners got the big hit in the inning with her two-run single to give the Cardinals a 5-0 advantage.
- Becker would get on the board in the fifth with a RBI double by Sam Belenchia.
- Wesleyan would answer with a two-run bottom of the fifth thanks to a two-run single by Julie McDonald '18.
- The Cardinals would add one more run in the bottom of the sixth as McDonald doubled in Kantor to give Wesleyan a 9-1 lead.
- Kantor, who went 3-4 at the plate, also pitched a complete game, allowing one run on four hits while striking out seven.
- Linzer, Pardo and McDonald each contributed three hits a piece. McDonald also knocked in three runs on the afternoon.
- For Becker, Belenchia went 1-1 with an RBI.
- Wesleyan returns to the diamond on Tues., March 15th as they will take on the University of Wisconsin-River Falls at 9 a.m., followed by Framingham St at 11 a.m.