CLERMONT, Fla.- The Wesleyan University softball team fell to the University of New England 6-4 on Wednesday morning at Hancock Park. The Cardinals followed up that game with a 7-5 victory over Plattsburgh St. University.
University of New England: 5-3
Plattsburgh St.: 2-6
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Nor'easters got on the board first in the top of the second inning as Paige Moore-Haskell scored on an Andrea Gosper groundout.
- The Cardinals responded, scoring two runs in the bottom of the inning. Back-to-back doubles by Rielly Wieners '17 and Amanda Roosa '16 tied the game at one. Rachel Kantor '19 singled, scoring Roosa from third, to give Wesleyan a 2-1 lead.
- New England got back out on top, scoring two runs in the top of the third to give them a 3-2 lead. Caroline Schoenbucher knocked in Avery Alberghini, who singled to lead off the inning, and Lauren Jones followed with a run scoring hit of her own.
- Wesleyan would tie the game in the bottom of the sixth with three consecutive hits from Wieners, Roosa and Jamie Hom '17. Hom's single scored Wieners, who singled and advanced to third on Roosa's double.
- The Nor'easters stormed back in the top of the seventh as they scored three runs to take a 6-3 lead. Alberghini got things started with a single and advanced to third on on a Schoenbucher double. Jones then reached on a fielder's choice which, as Alberghini crossed the plate with New England's fourth run. A walk and an Abby Lambert single scored another run, and a Kelly Murphy single would allow Vallante to cross the plate with the third run of the inning.
- The Cardinals would put together a rally in the bottom of the seventh as Annalie Walsh-Costello '17 lead off the inning with a double to center field. Olivia Gorman '19 singled and Walsh-Costello was able to score on the play, but Wesleyan was not able to complete the comeback, as they fell 6-4.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Julie McDonald '18 got the scoring started for the Cardinals as she singled in Roosa to give Wesleyan a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning.
- Wesleyan would put up two more runs in the bottom of the third inning as a Walsh-Costello reached on a sacrifice bunt attempt, and McDonald was able to score from third. Angelina Massoia '17 followed that with a sacrifice of her own, which scored Hom, giving the Cardinals a 3-0 advantage.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Wesleyan would get two more runs as Mollie Grunat '16 was able to score on a pass ball, and an error would allow McDonald to cross the plate with the fifth Cardinals' run of the game.
- A double to right by Jennifer Groat and a single by Jackie Decker would get SUNY Plattsburgh on the board with two runs, bringing the Wesleyan lead to 5-2 .
- Wesleyan built their lead back up in the bottom of the sixth, as an RBI single by Hom scored Wieners. Walsh-Costello forced a walk which would score McDonald from third to give the Cardinals the 7-3 lead.
- Plattsburgh would get one more run in the top of the seventh as Groat scored on a single by Nicole Cast, but it wasn't enough as Wesleyan would hold on to win, 7-4.
- The Cardinals concluded their Florida spring break trip and will return home to face NESCAC rival Trinity for a twin-bill on Sat. March 26. Game one will begin at 12 p.m. and game two is scheduled to start at 2 p.m.