Mar 30, 2016
NEW LONDON, Conn. - The Wesleyan University softball took on the US Coast Guard Academy in a doubleheader Wednesday afternoon, and scored a combined 22 runs in the two games, as they swept the double-header from the Bears by scores of 13-3 and 9-8.
Coast Guard: 5-13
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Bears got their first three batters on in the bottom of the first as Cardinal starting pitcher Julie McDonald '18 found herself in an early bases loaded jam with no outs. McDonald would then strike out Cherokee Strickland swinging and Hannah Ingerson looking. Emily Hogan would score on a passed ball to give the Coast Guard a 1-0 lead. Casey Cruzpino would then single, scoring two more runs to bring the Bears' lead to 3-0. McDonald would get Malia Hindle to fly out to end the inning.
- The Cardinals answered with a three-run inning of their own in the top of the second as Jamie Hom '18 singled and was knocked in on a hit by Amanda Roosa '16. Rachel Kantor '19 followed with an RBI single to score Roosa, and Isabel Linzer '17 would single up the middle to bring Annalie Walsh-Costello '16 home to tie the game at three.
- In the third, Wesleyan would get two more runs on a Kantor double, which scored Roosa and Reilly Wieners '17 to give the Cardinals a 5-3 advantage.
- An Angelina Massoia '16 single in the fourth would score Linzer and give the Cardinals a 6-3 lead.
- Wesleyan broke the game open in the top of the fifth, scoring seven runs on six hits. Roosa, Kantor, Linzer, Massoia, McDonald and Hom all recorded RBIs in the inning.
- The 13-3 lead was more than enough for McDonald, who settled down after her rough first inning, pitching five innings allowing seven hits while striking out four.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Kantor got the Cardinals on the board in the first, as her double scored Linzer to give Wesleyan an early 1-0 lead.
- The Coast Guard responded as Strickland singled to right to tie the game at one in the bottom of the first.
- The Bears had themselves a bottom of the second, as they scored four runs on three hits. Emma Hvozdovich and Hayden Short each recorded and RBI, while Strickland had the big hit of the inning as she took a Viveka Cousins' '19 pitch out for a 2-run homerun to give the Bears a 5-1 advantage.
- Wesleyan had their own big inning in the third as they scored three runs on four hits. Hom singled home Linzer, and Kantor launched a 2-run homerun to bring the Cardinals to within one at 5-4.
- The Cardinals took the lead in the fourth with RBIs from Hom and McDonald to give Wesleyan the lead at 6-5.
- The lead was short lived as the Bears took the lead in the bottom of the inning with an RBI single from Cruzpino and a 2 RBI double from Hindle to give the Coast Guard a 7-6 lead.
- Wieners would bring the Bears lead to one at 8-7 with her RBI single in the top of the sixth.
- Down to their last at-bats, the Cardinals rallied to score two runs, as yet again Hom and McDonald notched RBIs to give Wesleyan the 9-8 victory.
- The Cardinals will open NESCAC play when they host Hamilton College on Friday, April 1st at 5 p.m.
- The Bears will return to the diamond on Friday, April 1st as they will host Wellesley College in doubleheader action. Game one is scheduled for 3 p.m.