AMHERST, Mass. - Seven innings wasn't enough as the Wesleyan University softball team went to extras with Little Three and NESCAC Rival Amherst College on Friday night. The game was a pitchers duel between Cardinal's starter Su Pardo '16 and two Amherst pitchers. The three pitchers combined for 13 strikeouts in the game, which saw Amherst walk-off with a 2-1 victory in eight innings.
- The Purple and White were able to get on the board first in the bottom of the third as Julia Turner singled to left to score Taylor Summe.
- The Cardinals would tie the game in the top of the fifth as Izzy Linzer '17 singled to score Amanda Roosa '16
- The teams would head to extras locked in a 1-1 tie.
- Turner would win the game for Amherst in the bottom of the eighth, as her RBI single gave the Purple and White the 2-1 win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Pardo suffered the hard luck loss, going 7.2 innings. She allowed nine hits and 2 runs (one earned), while striking out four. Her record now sits at 10-4.
- Angelina Massoia '16, Rielly Wieners '17, Roosa and Pardo each registered a hit in the game.
- Lorena Ukanwa started for Amherst, going five innings while allowing 1 run (unearned) and three hits. She struck out eight Cardinals on the day. Jackie Buechler earned her sixth win, as she pitched three scoreless innings of relief for the Purple and White.
- The two teams will return to the field tomorrow as they will complete their home-and-home series with a doubleheader. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. Prior to the game the Cardinals will honor their senior class.