Scores: Wesleyan 8, Becker 7 (9 inns.); UMass-Boston 7, Wesleyan 5 (8 inns.)
Records: Wesleyan (1-3); Becker (2-6); UMass-Boston (8-2)
Location: Clermont, Fla.
Date: Thursday, March 16th
Time: 10:30 a.m. / 3:30 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University softball team played two extra-inning games on Thursday afternoon in Clermont, Fla, as it defeating Becker by a score of 8-7 in nine innings, however it fell to UMass-Boston in eight innings by a score of 7-5.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Izzy Linzer '17 tripled to lead off game and was singled home by Jenna Putala '20 to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead.
- Wesleyan would add two more runs in the top of the second to extend its lead to 3-0. Linzer singled home Julie McDonald '18, and Kendall Carr '19 stole home to give the Cardinals their third run of the game.
- The Hawks got on the board in the bottom of the second as Samantha Belenchia singled home Vasia Murphy to make the score 3-1. Alexzandra Casaw then hit a two-run single to tie the game at three.
- Putala continued her hot start as she led off the top of the third with her second homerun of the season to regain the lead for Wesleyan. Carr would extend the lead to 6-3 with her 2-run double which scored McDonald and Hayley Lipson '20.
- Rielly Wieners '18 would hit a sacrifice fly in the fourth to score Jamie Hom '17 to give the Cardinals a 7-3 advantage.
- Becker loaded the bases in the bottom of the fifth, and Ashley Ciepiela knocked in a run to make the score 7-4. Lauren Niemann would then single home two runs to bring the Hawks to within one run.
- Ciepiela would tie the game at seven in the bottom of the seventh inning with a sacrifice fly.
- The two teams would head to the ninth still tied when Rachel Kantor '19 would score on an Olivia Gorman '19 grounder to put Wesleyan on top, 8-7.
- McDonald, who came in for Kantor on the mound in the seventh, would keep Becker off the board and seal the extra innings victory for the Cardinals.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Beacons got a run across in the top of the first on an RBI single by Kiera Prusmack.
- Wesleyan would tie the game in the bottom of the inning on an RBI single by Putala.
- In the second, the Cardinals would score four runs to give them a 5-1 lead. Carr and Hom notched RBI singles, while Linzer tripled home two runs.
- In the fifth, UMass-Boston plated three runs to make the score 5-4.
- In the seventh, the Beacons would tie the game on a hit by Ari Bilotta.
- A single by Gigi Braga and a double by Chaislyn Burgio would give UMass-Boston the 7-5 lead.
- Jess Greenspan would hold onto the lead for the Beacons in the bottom of the eighth, and they would claim the 7-5 win.
- The Cardinals will have an off day on Friday before returning to the diamond on Saturday, March 18th to take on Wisconsin-Whitewater and Babson. The games will start at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. respectively