Score: Game 1: Plymouth St. 5, Wesleyan 3; Game 2: Wesleyan 4, Carleton 0
Records: Wesleyan (6-6); Plymouth St. (5-4); Carleton (6-3)
Location: Clermont, Fla.
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd
Time: 9 a.m. / 11:30 a.m.
The Lead: Izzy Linzer '17 registered her 100th career hit, but the Wesleyan University softball team's comeback attempt fell short against Plymouth St., as it fell 5-3. The Cardinals rebounded in their second game as Rachel Kantor '19 pitched a shutout to lead Wesleyan to a 4-0 win.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- In the top of the first, Plymouth St. scored two runs on RBIs from Taylor Wood and Mel Goss to take a quick 2-0 lead.
- A three-run homerun in fourth would put the Panthers up 5-0.
- In the bottom of the fifth the Cardinals would begin their comeback, scoring three runs to bring the deficit to two runs. Linzer would single home Jenna Putala '20 for the first run of the inning. Linzer would then steal second, allowing Rachel Curran '20 to score from third. Linzer would later score on a passed ball.
- Plymouth St. would hold Wesleyan scoreless the remainder of the game and claim the 5-3 win.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- Rielly Wieners '18 got Wesleyan out to an early 1-0 lead with an RBI single in the top of the first.
- A double by Kantor in the third would score Wieners to give the Cardinals a 2-0 advantage, and Kendall Carr '19 would later score on error to make the lead 3-0.
- In the sixth, Julie McDonald '18 would single home Linzer to give Wesleyan a four run lead.
- The four runs were more than enough for Kantor who pitched seven brilliant innings, allowing just four hits.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Linzer's single against Plymouth St. in the bottom of the seventh gave her 100 in her career. She is the 19 member of the 100 hit club. The two hits in game two bring her total to 102, which places her 17th overall.
- The Cardinals will return home to Middletown as they will host the U.S. Coast Guard Academy on Wednesday, March 29th. The two teams are scheduled to play a doubleheader with game one scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. and game two at 5 p.m.