Game One Score: Amherst 1, Wesleyan 0
Game Two Score: Amherst 10, Wesleyan 1 (5 inn.)
Records: Wesleyan (9-16, 0-5 NESCAC West ); Amherst (22-6, 9-0 NESCAC)
Location: Amherst, Mass. (Softball Field)
Date: Saturday, April 15th
Time: 1 p.m. / 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University softball team dropped a double-header to Little Three rival Amherst on Saturday afternoon.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Game one was a classic pitching duel between Julie McDonald '18 and Jackie Buechler.
- The Mammoths were able to break the scoreless tie in the bottom of the third on an RBI double from Sammy Salustri.
- Looking to comeback from a run down, the Cardinals put runners on the corners with one out in the top of the seventh. Rachel Kantor '19 would steal second to put runners in scoring position with two outs. They would be stranded however, as the home team claimed the 1-0 win.
- McDonald went six innings allowing just the one run. She struck out six and walked one.
- Buechler went the full seven innings allowing just one hit with one walk and five strikeouts.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- The home team once again took the lead early in the contest as Salustri singled home Lauren Tuiskula in the first.
- Kantor tied the game with a homer to left in the second.
- RBIs from Julia Turner, Tuiskula and Salustri regained the lead for Amherst at 4-1 in the second inning.
- A six run fourth inning would clinch a 10-1 victory for the Mammoths.
- Kantor, Hayley Lipson '20 and Kendall Carr '19 each notched a hit in the game for Wesleyan.
- The Cardinals are back in action on Friday, April 21st as they will host the Middlebury Panthers at 5 p.m.