Score: Wesleyan 4, Hamilton 0
Records: Wesleyan (11-18, 2-7 NESCAC); Hamilton (10-23, 1-9 NESCAC)
Location: Hamilton, N.Y. (Loop Road Softball Complex)
Date: Friday, April 28
Time: 5 p.m.
The Lead: Julie McDonald '18 pitched a four-hit shutout and collected three hits of her own, as the Wesleyan University softball team defeated Hamilton College 4-0 on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- McDonald doubled to lead off the game and came around to score on a Hayley Lipson '20 sacrifice fly to give the Cardinals a quick 1-0 lead.
- McDonald put the visitors up by two with an RBI single in the second, which scored Rachel Kantor '19 from third.
- Christina Zaccardi '17 put Wesleyan up 3-0 on a single to center in the fourth that scored Olivia Gorman '19.
- Wesleyan would go up by four runs on a RBI single from Izzy Linzer '17 in the fifth.
- The Continentals put two runners on in the bottom of the seventh, but McDonald would get Caitlin Berreitter to pop up to end the game, and give the Cardinals the 4-0 win.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- McDonald notched her seventh win and second shutout on the season as she went the distance, allowing just the four hits. She walked one and struck out one. Her three hits also led the team.
- Rielly Wieners '18, Kendall Carr '19, Zaccardi and Linzer each registered two hits a piece for Wesleyan, as it outhit Hamilton 13-4.
- The two teams will conclude their series with a double-header tomorrow, Saturday April 29th. Game one is scheduled for 11 a.m. and game two will begin at approximately 1 p.m.