NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Wesleyan softball team (11-17) picked up a pair of wins over Mitchell (8-15) on the road on Tuesday. The Cardinals were victorious 6-3 in game one, before taking the second contest by an 8-0 score in six innings. The contest marked the first meeting between the teams since their inaugural doubleheader in 2006, as the Cardinals are now 4-0 against the Mariners.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan jumped out to a 1-0 edge in the top of the second when Olivia Gorman reached first on a dropped fly, before advancing to second and touching home on a single by Marina Williams.
- The Cardinals increased their advantage in their next at-bat when Courtney Collins-Pisano led off with a double up the middle, before Rinaldi singled and Sciarappa was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Later, Gorman reached first on a fielding error, allowing Collins-Pisano to cross home for the 2-0 lead.
- Mitchell responded in its half of the inning when Laurissa Amaker led off with a double to right center, before touching home on a single by Suzanne Vachon. Paige Aguilar scored an unearned run, before a single through the left side by Sydney Oatway drove in Vachon to knot the game at 3-3
- Wesleyan increased its lead in the fourth when Brenna Monroe double down the left field line, before scoring on a single by Alexis Campbell. Later, a sacrifice bunt by Maddie Ikeda allowed runners to advance to second and third, before a sacrifice fly by Rinaldi scored Campbell. Collins-Pisano later crossed home plate on a single by Sciarappa, making it 5-3.
- In its next inning, the Cardinals added a score when Gorman singled up the middle, stole second, and touched home on a single by Campbell for the 6-3 final.
GAME 1 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Rinaldi picked up the win for Wesleyan, allowing three runs on three hits, while striking out five over seven innings. At the plate, she went 2-3 with an RBI.
- Sciarappa went 2-3 with a double and an RBI, Campbell went 2-4 with two RBI and a run and Collins-Pisano went 2-5 with a double and scored twice.
- Taylor Duchesneau suffered the loss for Mitchell, allowing six runs on 13 hits over seven innings of work.
- Amaker went 1-2 with a double, while three Mariners (Vachon, Madison Nicynski and Oatway) recorded an RBI.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- With runners on second and third in the top of the fourth, a single to right field by Gorman drove home Fiona Skerrett and Lauren Gaffney-Gomez, before Gorman touched home on a single by Williams for the 3-0 advantage.
- The Cardinals doubled their lead in their next at bat when Gaffney-Gomez led off with a home run. Kendall Mancuso followed with a double, before scoring on a single by Skerrett. Later, Skerrett scampered home on a throwing error by the catcher, making it 6-0.
- Wesleyan's Rinaldi led off the sixth with a homer, before a double by Alyssa DaSilva drove in Skerrett, extending the Cardinal advantage to 8-0.
GAME 2 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Monroe went the distance for the Cardinals, throwing a complete game shutout, while allowing just one hit and striking out five.
- Williams went a perfect 2-2 with an RBI, while Rinaldi and Gaffney-Gomez each hit a home run and recorded an RBI.
- Vachon suffered the loss for Mitchell, allowing eight runs on 13 hits.
- The Cardinals hit the road for a pair of games at Bowdoin beginning at noon on Saturday.