Score: Wesleyan 59, Suffolk 54 (OT)
Records: Wesleyan (1-0); Suffolk (1-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Emerson College)
Date: Saturday, November 19
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's basketball team held off a second half rally by Suffolk University and defeated the Rams in overtime of the Emerson Tip-Off Tournament, 59-54. Saturday's game was also the Cardinals first of the 2016-17 season.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan in the first quarter as the Cardinals went on a 16-4 run within the first 6:50 of play. Maddie Bledsoe '18 capped off the run with a jumper.
- Just over a minute later, Maeve Vitale '19 put Wesleyan back up by 12 as the Cardinals led 18-6 after one.
- The second quarter was a similar story, as Wesleyan held Suffolk scoreless in the final 5:41 of the half and went on a 12-0 run down the stretch to take a 34-14 lead at halftime.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The second half, however, was all Suffolk. Trailing by 20, the Rams went on a 16-3 run capped off by a three-pointer from Georgia Bourikas to get within seven, 39-32.
- With :11 remaining in the third quarter, Caitlyn Caramello hit a lay-up as Suffolk trailed 41-37 entering the fourth.
- A pair of free throws from Danielle Gervacio '17 put Wesleyan up 47-39 with 4:15 to play, but the Rams closed out regulation on an 8-0 run to force overtime.
- Caramello put the Rams ahead for the first time in the game with a pair of free throws, and a lay-up by Bourikas over a minute later put Suffolk up, 51-47.
- However, Wesleyan retaliated as a lay-up by Tara Berger '19 followed by a three-pointer from Vitale just 30 seconds apart, gave the Cardinals the lead once again, 52-51.
- Wesleyan increased its lead down the stretch and held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Four players scored in double-figures for Wesleyan – Vitale (14), Gervacio (13), Olivia Gorman '19 (12) and Berger (10). Berger added a game-high 10 rebounds as well to complete the double-double, and Chynna Bailey '19 dished out a team-high five assists.
- Wesleyan was impressive from the free throw line and finished 13-of-16 (81.3%).
- Suffolk was led by Bourikas, who finished with a game-high 26 points and eight rebounds, as well as Caramello who recorded a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Wesleyan returns to the court tomorrow, Nov. 20 and will play in the Emerson Tip-Off Tournament Championship game against the host school. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m.