Score: Wesleyan 57, Manhattanville 50
Records: Wesleyan (2-3); Manhattanville (3-3)
Location: Purchase, N.Y. (Kennedy Gym)
Date: Tuesday, November 29
Time: 6 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's basketball team rallied from an early first quarter deficit to defeat non-conference foe Manhattanville College Tuesday night, on the road, 57-50.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Manhattanville came out hot to start the game and took a 10-point lead at the 3:57 mark of the first quarter following a lay-up from Brittany Deieso.
- However, Wesleyan responded with an 11-0 run capped off by a free throw from Olivia Gorman '19 to give the Cardinals a 16-15 lead with :48 remaining on the clock.
- The Valiants scored in the final seconds to go ahead 17-16 after the first 10 minutes of play.
- The second quarter was all Wesleyan as the visitor's defense held Manhattanville scoreless. The Cardinals outscored the Valiants 12-0 to take a 28-16 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Manhattanville scored the first points of the second half at the 7:00 mark of the third quarter to snap a scoreless streak of 13:32.
- The home team cut into the deficit as a lay-up by Joiada Darnell put the Valiants within three with 5:37 on the clock, however, the Cardinals outscored Manhattanville 9-5 down the stretch to claim a 37-30 lead entering the fourth quarter.
- The fourth quarter featured a lot of scoring from both teams as play went back-and-forth often.
- Wesleyan pulled away late and a lay-up by Maddie Bledsoe '18 with 1:10 remaining in regulation gave the Cardinals a 55-43 advantage.
- The Valiants got within six points in the closing seconds, but the deficit proved to be too much as the visitor's held on for the 57-50 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan was led by Tara Berger '19 who scored a season-high 21 points on 8-of-14 shooting. She also grabbed nine rebounds, tied for a team-high with Chynna Bailey '19, and recorded three assists, three steals and two blocks. Bledsoe joined her in double-figures with 11 on 5-of-8 shooting, while Gorman added seven. Bledsoe also dished out a game-high four assists.
- Manhattanville was led by Kayleah McGuire and Ivy Coles with 14 and 13 points, respectively. McGuire recorded a double-double as she added 10 rebounds, and Darnell led all players with 11 boards and five steals.
- Wesleyan is back in action Friday, Dec. 2 and will host Worcester State in Day 1 action of the Courtyard Marriott Tournament. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.
- The Valiants return to the court Thursday, Dec. 8 and will host SUNY Oneonta beginning at 6 p.m.