Score: Wesleyan 63, Skidmore 60
Records: Wesleyan (4-3); Skidmore College (3-4)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Silloway Gym)
Date: Saturday, December 3
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's basketball team never trailed Saturday and held off a late scare by Skidmore College as the Cardinals claimed a 63-60 victory en route to the Courtyard by Marriott Tournament Title.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- A lay-up by Danielle Gervacio '17 followed by a three-pointer from Maeve Vitale '18 put Wesleyan up 5-0 early, and the Cardinals never looked back.
- Ahead 12-8 late in the first quarter, Wesleyan scored six straight capped off by a lay-up from Kadijah Mathews '18 to give the home team a 10-point advantage after one.
- The second quarter featured a game of runs from both teams.
- A lay-up by Lilly Berg at the 8:26 mark cut the deficit to seven, but a 10-3 Wesleyan run gave the home team a 30-16 lead with 4:39 to play in the half.
- The Thoroughbreds responded with eight unanswered as a three from Veronica Moceri cut the margin to six.
- With :29 remaining on the clock, Remi French '19 hit a jumper off an assist from Chynna Bailey '19 to give Wesleyan a 34-26 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals came out hot to start the second half and went on a 13-2 run in 4:07 as a jumper by Maddie Bledsoe '18 gave the home team a 47-28 advantage.
- Skidmore slowly cut into the deficit before a lay-up from Mathews proved to be the final basket of the third quarter as Wesleyan entered the fourth up 56-42.
- The Thoroughbreds wouldn't back down easily and went on a run in the final 10 minutes of play.
- A lay-up by Migle Vilunaite, followed by a lay-up from Kelly Donnelly with :49 remaining on the clock put Skidmore within three.
- The visitor's had a chance to tie the game in the last seconds but a missed three-pointer was rebounded by Gorman to seal the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Saturday's championship game featured zero ties and zero lead changes as Wesleyan led the entire way.
- Gorman and Vitale each scored 12 points to lead the Cardinals, while Bledsoe added 11. Tara Berger '19 dropped seven and pulled in 10 rebounds, while Bailey dished out a team-high four assists.
- Donnelly led all players with 18 for Skidmore, while Moceri joined her in double-figures with 11. Vilunaite added nine points and 12 rebounds.
- Kaitlyn Berkel, Worcester State
- Sandi Purcell, Keene State
- Kelly Donnelly, Skidmore
- Veronica Moceri, Skidmore
- Maeve Vitale, Wesleyan
- Olivia Gorman, Wesleyan – Tournament MVP
- Wesleyan returns to the court next Saturday, Dec. 10 and will head to Little Three rival Williams for a non-conference matchup. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.