Score: Wesleyan 73, Bridgewater State 51
Records: Wesleyan (5-4); Bridgewater State (3-7)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Harrington Auditorium at WPI)
Date: Friday, December 30
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: Sophomore forward Tara Berger recorded a double-double with 15 points and a career-high 19 rebounds, and junior guard Maeve Vitale scored 12 of her team-high 16 points in the fourth quarter to help lead the Wesleyan University women's basketball team to a commanding 73-51 win in the first night of the WPI Holiday Tournament against Bridgewater State Friday night.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan in the first quarter as the Cardinals used a 12-0 run in less than seven minutes to pull ahead by 10.
- Wesleyan held Bridgewater State to a mere four points in the first 10 minutes of action, as Lauren Gaj '17 hit a three-pointer with :14 remaining on the clock to give the Cardinals a 17-4 lead entering the second quarter.
- The Bears wouldn't back down, however, and cut the deficit to single digits at the 7:51 mark following a three from Janet Maher to get within nine.
- Wesleyan went back up by 13 minutes later following a lay-up from Olivia Gorman '19, but Bridgewater State responded with an 8-0 run.
- A lay-up by freshman Heidi Scarth with :16 to play gave Wesleyan a 33-22 lead, but Sara DaSilva hit a jumper before the time expired to get within nine at halftime.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The third quarter was a game of runs as Bridgewater State went on a 14-6 stretch to cut the deficit to three at the 3:55 mark.
- Minutes later, the Bears got within three once again with 1:27 to play in the quarter, but five straight points capped off by a buzzer beater from Kadijah Mathews '18 put the Cardinals up 50-42.
- Despite the runs by Bridgewater State in the third, Wesleyan pulled away in the final 10 minutes of action and put the game out of reach as the Cardinals opened up on an impressive 18-2 run in just 5:52 of play.
- Vitale helped put the game out of reach by scoring 10 of the team's 18 points during the run as she capped it off with a three-pointer at the 4:25 mark to give Wesleyan a 68-44 advantage.
- The Cardinals led by as much as 26 down the stretch en route to the decisive victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Berger finished with 15 points on 5-of-9 shooting and recorded her third double-double of the season. Maddie Bledsoe '19 joined Berger and Vitale in double-digits with 13 points, and added nine boards, while Vitale finished with eight rebounds and Chynna Bailey '19 grabbed a career-high 10. Gorman dished out a team-high four assists and finished with nine points.
- DaSilva led all scorers with 20 points and grabbed a team-high five boards, while also dishing out a team-high three assists. Janet Maher added 10 points for the Bears.
- The Cardinals dominated the glass and outrebounded Bridgewater State 64-28, while outscoring the Bears 46-16 in the paint.
- Wesleyan advances to the WPI Holiday Tournament Championship game and will play host school WPI tomorrow, Dec. 31 at 3 p.m.
- The Bears will play Oberlin tomorrow in the consolation game scheduled for 1 p.m.