Score: Amherst 71, Wesleyan 33
Records: Wesleyan (5-8, 0-3 NESCAC); No. 2 Amherst (14-0, 2-0 NESCAC)
Location: Amherst, Mass.
Date: Friday, January 13
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's basketball team dropped a NESCAC matchup to Little Three rival and No. 2 Amherst College on the road Friday night, 71-33.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- After a lay-up by Lauren Gaj '17 knotted the game at 4-4 in the opening minutes, a three-pointer from Emma McCarthy put Amherst ahead, and the home team never looked back.
- The Purple & White increased its lead to 19-8 after 10 minutes of action.
- It was a similar story in the second quarter as Amherst continued to pull away and held a 40-19 lead at the half.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The final 20 minutes of action were much like the first 20.
- Amherst outscored the Cardinals 16-7 in the third quarter and 15-7 in the fourth en route to the decisive victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Tara Berger '19 continues to have a strong sophomore season for the Cardinals and was the lone Wesleyan player in double-figures with a game-high 12 points. She also pulled in a team-high seven rebounds, while Olivia Gorman '19 added six points off the bench and Chynna Bailey '19 grabbed six boards.
- Amherst was led by McCarthy, who scored 11 points, while Hannah Hackley and Ali Doswell each tallied 10.
- Wesleyan returns to Connecticut tomorrow, Jan. 14 and will face in-state rival Trinity on the road at 3 p.m.
- Amherst will host Conn. College tomorrow at 3 p.m.