Score: Trinity 74, Wesleyan 67
Records: Wesleyan (5-9, 0-4 NESCAC); Trinity (11-3, 2-1 NESCAC)
Location: Hartford, Conn.
Date: Saturday, January 14
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: Sophomore Olivia Gorman tied a Wesleyan single-game program record with 35 points as she hit six three-pointers coming off the bench, but it wasn't enough as the Wesleyan University women's basketball team fell short against NESCAC foe Trinity College Saturday, 74-67.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals took a 5-2 lead early on a three-pointer from Maeve Vitale '18, but Trinity responded with a 12-0 run to go ahead by nine.
- In a high scoring first quarter, the Bantams led 22-17 after one.
- Wesleyan got hot early in the second as it went on a 15-4 run. The Cardinals hit three consecutive three-pointers, two from Gorman and one from Danielle Gervacio '17 in just 1:39 of play to go ahead, 32-26.
- Another three from Gorman at the 2:03 mark put the visitor's up 37-28, however, Trinity scored four unanswered points to cut the deficit to five at the half.
- Wesleyan outscored the Bantams 20-10 in the second quarter.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- A 9-2 run by Trinity to start the second half saw it regain a lead at the 6:06 mark of the third quarter, up 41-39.
- Wesleyan briefly took back the lead after a three-point play by Maddie Bledsoe '19 made it 42-41, but a lay-up by Peace Kabari seconds later put Trinity back on top at the 5:14 mark of the third. The Bantams would never look back.
- Trailing by six, a three followed by a pair of free throws from Gorman saw Wesleyan's deficit get to one entering the fourth quarter.
- The Bantams led by as much as nine, up 63-54 with 6:36 remaining in regulation, but the Cardinals didn't back down easily.
- Gorman scored eight points in a 31 second span to get the Cardinals within three, 70-67, with :58 on the clock. However, Wesleyan wouldn't score the rest of the game as the Bantams held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gorman scored 35 points in 31 minutes on 11-of-18 shooting, 6-of-9 from three-point range and 7-of-9 from the foul line. The 35 points tie the Wesleyan women's basketball single-game scoring record, joining Allison Palmer '95 and Lucy Sprung '08. Also, her six three-pointers were just one shy of tying the record held by Shaleen Bowman '03.
- Vitale scored eight points and pulled in a game-high 11 rebounds, and Bledsoe added seven points.
- Trinity was led by Courtney Erickson, who scored 19 points and pulled in eight rebounds. Sheena Landy added 10 points and six boards, and Kabari dished out a game-high seven assists.
- Saturday's game featured four ties and five lead changes.
- Wesleyan is back in action Friday, Jan. 20 and will host No. 1 Tufts at 7 p.m.
- Trinity is scheduled to play Colby Friday on the road at 7 p.m. as well.