Score: Tufts 80, Wesleyan 45
Records: Wesleyan (5-10, 0-5 NESCAC); Tufts (17-0, 5-0 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn.
Date: Friday, January 20
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's basketball team lost a NESCAC matchup to No. 1 Tufts University Friday night, 80-45.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan scored the first two points of the game, and a jumper by Danielle Gervacio '17 at the 6:52 mark put the Cardinals ahead, 6-5.
- However, a lay-up by Michela North seconds later gave Tufts the lead, and the Jumbos never looked back.
- A pair of free throws by North with 3:13 remaining in the first quarter capped off a 10-0 run. Tufts would lead 25-13 after one.
- In the next 10 minutes of action, the Jumbos continued to increase their lead and closed out the half with 15 unanswered to lead 46-20 at halftime.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a similar story in the second half as the 2015-16 national runner-ups used another huge run in the third quarter to take a commanding lead entering the fourth, 65-31.
- Tufts would outscore Wesleyan 15-14 in the final 10 minutes of regulation en route to its 17th win of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Olivia Gorman '19 was the lone Cardinal in double-figures as she finished with 12 points and four rebounds. Tara Berger '19 added eight points and a team-high five boards.
- Melissa Baptista led all players with 18 points on 7-of-12 shooting, while pulling in a game-high eight rebounds, and North and Katie Martensen scored 15 and 11 points, respectively.
- Wesleyan is back in action tomorrow, Jan. 21 and will host Bates at 3 p.m.
- Tufts returns to the court tomorrow at 3 p.m. as well and will play at Conn. College.