Score: MIT 69, Wesleyan 54
Records: Wesleyan (7-12, 1-6 NESCAC); MIT (16-4, 9-2 NEWMAC)
Location: Cambridge, Mass.
Date: Tuesday, January 31
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: Tara Berger '19 scored a game-high 15 points and grabbed six rebounds but the Wesleyan University women's basketball team dropped a difficult non-conference road game Tuesday night against MIT, 69-54.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- A three-pointer by Lauren Gaj '17 gave the Cardinals a 3-2 lead early, but the Engineers closed out the first quarter on a 16-1 run.
- MIT continued to increase its lead in the second quarter and a three from Liana Ilutzi with :50 to play before the break gave the home team a 37-14 halftime advantage.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The second half was a different story as the Cardinals outscored MIT, 40-32.
- In the closing seconds of the third quarter, Olivia Gorman '19 hit one from downtown but Dolly Yuan responded with a three-point buzzer-beater to give the Engineers a 58-29 lead entering the fourth.
- Wesleyan rallied in the final 10 minutes of regulation and went on a 12-0 run capped off by a three-pointer by Ava Tompkins '20 with 7:16 to play.
- The Cardinals outscored MIT, 25-11 in the fourth quarter, but the deficit proved to be too much.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Berger scored 15 points on 5-of-9 shooting, and also dished out a team-high three assists to go along with six rebounds and one block. Gorman joined her in double-figures with 10 points, while Chynna Bailey '19 led the team with seven boards.
- All five starters for MIT scored in double-figures as Yuan and Taylor V'Dovec led the way with 13 points each. V'Dovec also pulled in 10 rebounds to complete the double-double.
- Wesleyan returns to the court Friday, Feb. 3 and will host Little Three rival Williams in its 2016-17 regular season home finale. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.
- The Engineers are back in action Saturday, Feb. 4 and will host Smith College at 3 p.m.