Score: Bowdoin 58, Wesleyan 43
Records: Wesleyan (7-14, 1-8 NESCAC); Bowdoin (19-3, 7-2 NESCAC)
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Date: Friday, February 10
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's basketball team trailed by just three points entering the fourth quarter against the No. 20th-ranked team in the country, Bowdoin College, but the Polar Bears pulled away in the final 10 minutes en route to a 58-43 victory at home.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Both teams struggled to score in the first quarter as Wesleyan jumped out to a 6-2 lead at the 6:44 mark following a lay-up from Tara Berger '19.
- However, an 8-0 run by Bowdoin capped off by a three-pointer from Marle Curle gave the home team a four-point lead. The Polars would enter the second up 12-9.
- Danielle Gervacio '17 knotted the game at 12-12 with a three-pointer at the 9:08 mark of the second.
- Trailing by seven with 2:18 to play in the half, a lay-up by Kadijah Mathews '18 followed by a basket from Maddie Bledsoe '18 cut the deficit to three at the break, 25-22.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The third quarter featured another 10 minutes of competitive action with four ties and four lead changes.
- At the 7:09 mark, Wesleyan regained a lead as a free throw by Bledsoe put the visitor's ahead, 26-25.
- Bowdoin would take a five-point lead following a three-point play by Maddie Hasson with 5:06 to play, but a 7-0 run capped off by a jumper from Mathews put the Cardinals up 36-34 with 2:42 on the clock.
- The Polar Bears outscored Wesleyan 7-2 down the stretch to enter the fourth quarter up 41-38.
- Despite three strong quarters, the final 10 minutes of regulation belonged to Bowdoin as the home team held the Cardinals to five points and pulled away for the 15-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bledsoe was the lone Wesleyan player in double-figures as she finished with 10 points and six rebounds. Berger added nine points and grabbed a game-high 14 rebounds, while Gervacio and Maeve Vitale '18 each finished with eight points.
- Bowdoin was led by Curle and Lauren Petit with 11 and 10 points, respectively. Ally Silfen recorded a team-high 10 rebounds, and Kate Kerrigan added eight and a game-high four assists.
- Wesleyan outrebounded Bowdoin, 42-40.
- The Cardinals wrap up the 2016-17 regular season schedule tomorrow at Colby. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m.
- Bowdoin remains at home for its regular season finale tomorrow against Conn. College scheduled for 3 p.m.