MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Five players scored in double-figures as the Wesleyan University women's basketball team cruised to a decisive 84-48 win over Drew University in its 2017-18 home opener Sunday afternoon. The Cardinals improve to 3-1 with the win while handing the Rangers their first loss of the season as they drop to 3-1 as well.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan in the first 20 minutes of action as the home team held a commanding 40-22 lead at the break.
- After a jumper by Julia Ramos evened the score at 8-8, Maeve Vitale '18 hit a three seconds later to give the Cardinals the lead with 4:55 to play in the first quarter, and they would never look back.
- Wesleyan outscored Drew 16-6 in the final five minutes of the first.
- Heidi Scarth '20 led the Cardinals in the second quarter as she scored eight points on a perfect 4-of-4 shooting as the home team continued to increase its lead en route to an 18-point halftime advantage.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The second half was a similar story and with 3:26 to play in the third, a lay-up by Maddie Bledsoe '18 put Wesleyan ahead by 21 points, 50-29.
- The Cardinals outscored Drew 16-14 in the third to take a 56-36 lead entering the fourth quarter.
- In the final 10 minutes of regulation, Wesleyan scored 28 points on 10-of-16 shooting as Gorman dropped 10 of her game-high 15 en route to the Cardinals third double-digit win of the year.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals shot 47.7% (31-65) from the floor and held Drew to 27.6% (16-58) shooting. They also held a commanding 52-29 advantage in rebounds and the bench outscored the Rangers' bench, 33-15.
- Gorman led all players with 15 points and added five steals. Bledsoe recorded a double-double with 11 points and a game-high 16 rebounds. Scarth finished with 14 on a perfect 7-of-7 shooting, Vitale dropped 12 and Emma Roush '21 scored 10. Chynna Bailey '20 did a little bit of everything for the Cardinals as she scored seven points, grabbed nine boards and dished out a game-high six assists.
- Three players scored in double-figures for Drew with Moe Davis Campbell leading the way as she dropped 13 points and grabbed a team-high five boards. Hailey Stine and Michaela Keegan joined her with 11 and 10 points, respectively. Julia Ramos finished with eight points, six rebounds and six assists.
- Wesleyan returns to action Friday, Dec. 1 and will host the two-day Courtyard by Marriott Tournament. The Cardinals will play Maine-Presque Isle Friday night at 6 p.m.