MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – In a game that featured seven ties and four lead changes, the Wesleyan University women's basketball team came up short against Manhattanville as the Cardinals dropped their first home game of the season, 70-65.
Wesleyan rallied late in the game and got within two with 1:04 on the clock, but the Valiants pulled away down the stretch to improve to 7-1 overall. With the loss, the Cardinals fall to 5-2. Maeve Vitale '18 led the home team in scoring with 14 while Kymane Jones dropped a game-high 19 for Manhattanville.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The first quarter went back-and-forth often. With 5:10 on the clock, Olivia Gorman '19 hit a jumper to increase Wesleyan's lead to five—its largest lead of the quarter.
- Nany Caballero evened the score at 14-14 with a free throw at the 1:43 mark, but the Cardinals eventually took an 18-16 lead after one.
- Sarah Coutu hit a three-pointer early in the second quarter to put the visitors on top as Manhattanville would lead the entire quarter until a lay-up by Tara Berger '18 evened the score at 35-35 with :28 remaining. However, Kayleah McGuire hit a lay-up before time expired to give the visitors at a two-point advantage at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a similar story in the second half with more back-and-forth action.
- With 4:01 remaining in the third, a lay-up by Spencer Shore put Manhattanville ahead by six, 47-41.
- The Cardinals rallied in the final minutes of the quarter, outscoring the Valiants 11-3 including a 7-0 run in the final 1:52 as a lay-up by Emma Roush '21 put the home team ahead 52-50 entering the fourth.
- Manhattanville regained the lead at the 7:45 mark off a basket by Jones, 56-54. The visitors would lead the rest of the way.
- After a pair of free throws by Jones put the Valiants up six, Roush countered with a three-pointer seconds later. However, Manhattanville put the game away by controlling the glass to keep the ball out of Wesleyan's hands.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The numbers were very similar during an incredibly close contest from the opening tip-off. Wesleyan shot 36.1% (22-61) from the floor while Manhattanville went 36.8% (21-57). Both teams were 2-of-6 from downtown and the Cardinals held a slight 42-41 edge in rebounding.
- Vitale scored 14 on 3-of-5 shooting while going 7-of-8 from the line. She was joined in double-figures by Roush (11) and Berger (10). Berger also pulled in a game-high nine rebounds and led all players with two blocks. Vitale dished out three assists and recorded two steals.
- Jones was 5-of-10 from the floor and 9-of-10 from the charity stripe. McGuire added 15 points and nine boards, and Joiada Darnell dropped 11 points with eight rebounds. Coutu scored nine points and dished out three assists.
- Wesleyan remains home for its next contest against Little Three rival Williams this Saturday, Dec. 9. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. It will mark the Cardinals' final game before winter break.