SWARTHMORE, Pa. – A pair of freshmen helped lead the Wesleyan University women's basketball team to a commanding 82-59 win over Swarthmore College on Saturday afternoon on the road. Caleigh Ryan scored 19 points on 9-of-15 shooting and Marina Petruzzi dropped 17 points off the bench while going 3-of-6 from downtown. Additionally, Tara Berger recorded her second consecutive double-double to open the season as she scored 18 points and grabbed 14 boards, while also dishing out four assists, blocking four shots, and recording two steals.
With the win, the Cardinals improve to 2-0 while the Garnet dropped to 1-2.
- Wesleyan opened the game by scoring the first six points and took a 23-10 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- With the sizable lead after one, the Cardinals never looked back.
- They continued to increase their lead in the second and went ahead 45-28 before a buzzer beater by Elizabeth Stiles cut the deficit to 15 at the half.
- Wesleyan went on a 13-0 run to start the second half to go ahead by 28, essentially putting the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals forced 20 turnovers and held a 52-43 edge in rebounding. They also dominated the paint and held a 48-24 advantage down low.
- Chynna Bailey led all players with five assists, and Olivia Gorman and Ava Tompkins each added seven points.
- Swarthmore was led by Stiles and Isabelle Ewart with 15 and 11 points, respectively. Stiles was 6-of-8 from the floor and dished out a team-high four assists. Kendall Tribus led the squad in rebounding with nine boards and added eight points.
- Wesleyan remains on the road for its next contest as the Cardinals play at Medgar Evers. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.