BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Five players scored in double-figures for the Wesleyan University women's basketball team as the Cardinals cruised to a commanding 84-38 win over Medgar Evers in non-conference action Tuesday night. Olivia Gorman led the way with a game-high 17 points and Tara Berger recorded her third double-double of the season with 10 points and 11 boards.
With the win, Wesleyan improves to 2-1 overall while the Cougars drop to 0-4.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals came out strong and jumped out to a 6-0 lead.
- Both teams exchanged baskets often the rest of the first quarter as Wesleyan held a 21-14 lead after one.
- The visitors started to pull away in the second and took a double-digit lead at the 9:18 mark following a 3-pointer by Gorman, which gave Wesleyan a 25-14 advantage.
- With 5:27 remaining in the half, a layup by Marina Petruzzi put the Cardinals up 36-16. They would eventually take a 40-27 lead into the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan opened the second half with a 10-0 run and expanded it to 16-1 following a pair of free throws by Katy O'Connor.
- The Cardinals led 65-33 after the third.
- It was a similar story in the fourth quarter as Wesleyan continued to increase its lead.
- The visitors held Medgar Evers to 11 points in the second half.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan never trailed on Tuesday night. The Cardinals outrebounded the Cougars 60-36 and outscored the Medgar Evers bench 37-8.
- Gorman scored 17 points on 6-of-13 shooting. She was joined in double-figures by Berger, Caleigh Ryan (15), Petruzzi (11), and O'Connor (10). Chynna Bailey added 11 rebounds and dished out five assists. Ava Tompkins recorded five assists as well.
- Destiny Simmons led Medgar Evers with nine points while Janaisha Carrington and Jessycca Myers each scored eight. Myers grabbed a team-high five boards.
- Wesleyan is back in action Saturday, Dec. 1 and will host Marywood in its home-opener. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m.