MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University women's basketball team went 11-for-22 from downtown as it cruised to a commanding 79-42 win on Wednesday night over Endicott College in Silloway Gym. Three players scored in double-figures for the Cardinals with Olivia Gorman leading the way. The senior dropped a game-high 15 points while Chynna Bailey and Ava Tompkins each scored 12.
With the win, Wesleyan improves to 4-1 on the year. The Gulls, who were led by Emily Pratt's 11 points, fall to 4-3 overall.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan trailed 5-4 early but a 3-pointer by Tompkins at the 7:27 mark of the first quarter jumpstarted a 13-0 run. Bailey capped it off by finding Emma Roush on a fast break for a layup, forcing an Endicott timeout with 1:57 on the clock.
- The Cardinals held a 19-7 lead after the first 10 minutes of action.
- Wesleyan continued its strong play in the second quarter and outscored Endicott 27-9.
- Bailey hit back-to-back 3-pointers and Gorman drilled another in a span of 1:04. Marina Petruzzi capped off an 11-0 run as the home team went ahead 30-11 with 6:56 to play.
- The Cardinals continued to increase their lead down the stretch and a trey by Tompkins with eight seconds remaining gave the home team a 30-point advantage as they led 46-16 at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It remained all Wesleyan in the third quarter. A 7-0 run down the stretch, capped off by a 3-pointer and a pair of free throws by Maddie Clark, gave the home team a 63-28 lead with 1:20 remaining.
- The Cardinals outscored the Gulls 17-13 in the third and led 63-28 entering the fourth.
- With a sizeable lead, Wesleyan cruised in the final 10 minutes en route to the decisive victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals outrebounded Endicott 61-34 and outscored the Gulls 30-16 in the paint.
- In addition to her 12 points, Bailey also grabbed seven rebounds and dished out three assists. Tara Berger scored seven points and pulled in seven rebounds, and Katy O'Connor led all players with nine boards.
- Pratt was the lone Endicott player in double-figures. Mikaela Rogers scored nine and Lexi Gellerman dropped six with a team-high eight rebounds.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Saturday, Dec. 8 and will play at Little Three rival Williams in non-conference action. The game is scheduled to start at 3 p.m.