MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University women's basketball team cruised to a commanding 93-42 win over Vermont Tech on Tuesday night in its regular-season home finale. Tara Berger led the team with 15 points, in just 14 minutes of action, while going a perfect 6-of-6 from the floor and grabbing eight rebounds.
With the win, the Cardinals improve to 13-9 overall. Berger was joined in double-figures by Olivia Gorman and Maddie Clark with 14 and 10 points, respectively. The Knights, who were led by Mariah Rilling's team-high nine points, fell to 12-13 on the year.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan outscored Vermont Tech 24-10 in the first quarter and 24-9 in the second en route to a 48-19 halftime lead.
- Gorman scored eight points in the first quarter as the Cardinals shot 44% (11-25) from the floor.
- In the second quarter, Berger helped Wesleyan pull away as she dropped 13 points on 5-5 shooting. She also grabbed five rebounds and recorded a steal.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a similar story in the second half as the Cardinals continued to increase their lead.
- The Knights scored the first basket of the third quarter, but Wesleyan responded with a 9-0 run to go ahead by 36 with 6:08 remaining.
- The Cardinals outscored Vermont Tech 25-8 in the third as they entered the fourth with a 73-27 advantage.
- First-year guard Zoey Goldberg led Wesleyan in the fourth with six points, and Ericka Ekhator went 2-2 from the floor for four points and three rebounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Clark's 10 points were a season-high for the freshman. Classmate Caleigh Ryan and sophomore Katy O'Connor led the team in rebounding with 10, and junior Ava Tompkins led all players with five assists. She also scored eight points on 2-3 shooting from downtown and grabbed seven rebounds.
- Rilling came off the bench to lead Vermont Tech in scoring, while Sabreana Hardemon led the starters with eight points. Kiana Royer and Quanisha Ferrol each pulled in seven rebounds.
- Wesleyan dominated the glass, as it outrebounded the Knights 71-31.
- The Cardinals are back in action on Friday and will wrap up the regular season against Colby and Bowdoin on the road. Wesleyan will tip-off at 7 p.m. Friday night against the Mules and will play the Polar Bears at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 9.