Regatta: Murphy Cup
Result: 3rd of 6 – Division I Petite Final Varsity 8
Location: Philadelphia, Pa.
Date: Saturday, March 25, 2017
The Lead: The No. 1 Wesleyan University women's crew opened its 2017 spring season Saturday at the Murphy Cup as its Varsity 8 'A' boat advanced to the Petite Final of the Division I field, where it finished third out of six programs with a time of 7:16.85.
- The Cardinals' V8 'A' crew placed second in its opening heat against four Division I programs, as it was narrowly edged by UMass (6:39.11). The Cardinals finished in 6:43.85 to advance to the Petite Final.
- In the Petite Final, the crew took third out of six teams behind Drexel (5:52.45) and North Carolina (6:03.26) as it crossed the finish line in 6:05.83.
- The Varsity 8 'B' crew finished second in its opening heat against Division II/III programs with a time of 7:24.24 to advance to the Grand Final. In the Grand Final, it finished sixth out of six teams with a mark of 7:16.85.
- Additionally, Wesleyan's Junior Varsity 8 placed third in its opening heat behind Northeastern (7:02.62) and George Washington (7:11.64) as it crossed the finish line in 7:31.06.
- The Cardinals are back in the water Saturday, April 1 as they are scheduled to compete against UConn. Trinity and the Coast Guard Academy in Storrs, Conn.