Regatta: Colby, Hamilton, Smith, Wesleyan, WPI
Result: 1st of 5
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Lake Quinsigamond)
Date: Saturday, April 8, 2017
The Lead: The No. 1 Wesleyan University women's crew swept all three Varsity 8 races Saturday morning to continue its impressive 2016-17 season.
- The Varsity 8 boat finished first overall by a wide margin as it crossed the finish line in 6:54.8. Hamilton took second in 7:03.17, and WPI finished in third with a time of 7:04.07.
- In the Second Varsity 8 event, the Cardinals won in 7:05.59 while WPI finished second (7:09.33) and Colby claimed third (7:31.15).
- Wesleyan also won the 3 Varsity 8 race as its boat finished in 7:34.62, eight seconds ahead of the second-place boat, WPI, which crossed in 7:42.16. Colby placed third in the event with a time of 7:58.46.
HEAD COACH PAT TYNAN:
- "The team's focus today was on using the whole day to make us a better team - how we prepared for the racing, the race itself and how we handled our time after the racing was over. In the varsity race, the crews were pretty packed together at the 1,000 meter mark but our fitness surged the boat ahead and they never looked back. There are certainly some technical things to work out but the athletes are very focused on the process and making the boat go it's fastest in May.
- "In the 2nd Varsity race, WPI was in striking distance for much of the race. Wesleyan was able to move ahead and hold their position for the rest of the race. The lineup has been moving around quite a bit for this crew but they had some really good practices last week, so we were feeling pretty good about the racing.
- "The 3V had a tight race with WPI leading for portions of the race. We were able to stay pretty composed during a strong press from WPI, who was over stroking us by 2-3 strokes per minute. We stayed tough in the 2nd 1,000 meters and completed the sweep of the day."
- The Cardinals return to action Saturday, April 15 and will travel to Medford, Mass. to compete against Bates, Tufts and Wellesley.