Regatta: NCAA Division III Women's Rowing Championships
Location: West Windsor, N.J. (Mercer Lake)
Date: Friday, May 26, 2017
The Lead: For the second consecutive season, the Wesleyan University women's Varsity 8 boat will have a chance at a national title as the Cardinals advanced to the Grand Final by taking first overall in the Repechage on Friday evening.
- The Cardinals' Varsity 8 boat, which consists of coxswain Rachael Crunkleton '20, Ava Miller-Lewis '17, Amanda Molitor '18, Rachelle Flowers '19, Emma Halter '17, Annalee Holmdahl '17, Olivia Pearson '19, Clara Babbott-Ward '20 and Sarah Osborn '19, competed in Heat 2 of the morning event at 8:48 a.m.
- Wesleyan finished third in the four-team heat with a time of 6:33.806, and was edged by Ithaca who finished in 6:33.030. Williams won the heat with a mark of 6:30.926.
- The Cardinals' time was good enough to advance to the Varsity 8 Repechage later in the day, alongside Pacific Lutheran, Washington College and Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Wesleyan came out strong and led the entire way en route to a first place finish with a time of 6:42.191, to advance to the Grand Final. RIT finished in second with a time of 6:43.198.
- The Cardinals' Varsity 8 boat will compete in the Grand Final tomorrow, May 27 at 11:36 a.m., as Wesleyan looks to improve on its third place finish from a year ago.
- The other five boats feature Bates, Ithaca, RIT, Wellesley and Williams.