WORCESTER, Mass. – Wesleyan, ranked No. 2 in the USRowing/CRCA Coaches' Poll, claimed two medals including a third-place finish out of 21 boats in the Varsity 8 at the 2018 New England Rowing Championship on Saturday morning in Worcester, Mass.
The Cardinals finished fifth overall in the team standings out of 28 programs with 66.82 points, while Bates took first with 102 and Wellesley claimed second with 92.16. Rounding out the top five in the team point standings were Williams in third (68.72) and WPI in fourth (67.08).
- Wesleyan qualified for the Grand Final in all three events it competed in.
- In their first event of the day, the Cardinals finished fifth overall in the 2nd Varsity 8 by crossing the finish line in 7:01.328, ahead of WPI who placed in 7:04.236.
- Wesleyan finished second in its timed trial event of the 3rd Varsity 8 to reach the Grand Final, where it placed second once again as the Cardinals finished in 7:18.717. Wesleyan placed ahead of Williams (7:20.593) and Tufts (7:30.249).
- In the Varsity 8, the Cardinals' boat reached the Grand Final by placing second in their heat with a time of 6:43.919. They would later take third overall in the event with a mark of 6:56.702 in the Grand Final. Bates won the race in 6:46.476 followed by WPI in 6:53.421.
- Wesleyan will compete in the National Invitational Rowing Championship on Friday, May 11 in Worcester, Mass.