WORCESTER, Mass. – The fourth-ranked Wesleyan University women's crew competed at the 2018 National Invitational Rowing Championship (NIRC) on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass. on Friday, with the Varsity 8 boat taking fourth overall in the 21-team field.
In the team point standings, the Cardinals finished fourth overall as well with a total of 187 points, edging Little Three archrival Williams who placed fifth with 174 points.
- The Cardinals qualified for the Grand Final in all three races it competed in—the Varsity 8, Second Varsity 8 and Third Varsity 8.
- In the V8 event, Wesleyan's boat clocked a time of 6:33.947 to finish second in its morning heat behind WPI. The Cardinals advanced to the Grand Final in the afternoon and placed fourth overall by crossing the finish line in 6:30.885. Wesleyan finished ahead of Tufts (6:35.000) and Williams (6:35.171), while Bates won the event with a time of 6:24.113.
- During the 2V8 morning heat, the Cardinals finished second behind Bates to reach the Grand Final, where they would place third overall out of 17 boats. Wesleyan was narrowly edged by Williams (6:48.358) as it clocked a time of 6:49.896.
- The Cardinals also claimed third out of 11 boats in the 3V8 as they crossed the finish line of the Grand Final in 7:03.886. Bates won the event (6:58.926) followed by Williams (7:01.906).
- Wesleyan awaits its NCAA Tournament fate when the selections are announced on Monday, May 14.