Score: Wesleyan 4, Colby 1
Records: Wesleyan (5-4-1, 2-2-0 NESCAC), Colby (0-9-2, 0-5-1 NESCAC)
Location: Waterville, Maine (Alfond Rink)
Date: Saturday, January 7th
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: Behind a hat trick from Cici Frattasio '18, the Wesleyan University women's ice hockey team increased its winning streak to three games as they defeated Colby College 4-1 on the road Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Mules got out to an early 1-0 lead as Grace Crowell took a Kailey Buxbaum pass and got the puck past Allegra Grant '20 at 1:45 in the first.
- Frattasio would net her first goal of the game at 17:13 in the first period to tie the game at one. Grace Keogh '19 was able to set up Frattasio's second goal of the year.
- With an extra skater, Abby Rutt '17 would lay a pass to Frattasio, who would score her second of the game at 4:49 in the second period. Her third goal of the season would prove to be the game winner.
- The Cardinals converted on the power play again as Ellery Sarosi '17 took the puck and got it past Colby goaltender, Halley Fine, to give Wesleyan the 3-1 advantage at 16:49 in the second period.
- Frattasio would seal her hat trick and the game with her third period empty net goal, which would send Wesleyan home with the 4-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Grant earned her fourth victory on the season as she made 24 saves in goal.
- Fine made 27 saves between the pipes for the Mules.
- The Cardinals scored two power play goals in the game and held Colby to 0-7 on its power play chances.
- Wesleyan outshot the Mules 31-25.
- The Cardinals are back on the ice Wednesday, January 11th as they will host Castleton for a 3 p.m. contest.
- Colby returns to action on Tuesday, January 10th as they will take on the University of New England. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.